Language Careers at CASLS
Language careers have the ability to open up entire worlds and cultures to students, and we hope you will consider becoming part of the CASLS team.
CASLS is comprised of a diverse group of multilingual people working together toward a common goal: improving the teaching and learning of world languages. Our innovative solutions to language learning emanate from the creative recombination and application of ideas and technologies.
We emphasize teamwork, yet value independent thinking and creativity. We support employees’ quest to find a home/work balance. We focus on results, and employees are free to accomplish their work in a way that best suits them.
Pedagogical Experience Designer
- View the full job posting
- Review of Applications Begins: April 17, 2017; position open until filled
The Pedagogical Experience Designer creates, implements, and evaluates curricular materials for learners studying a second and/or foreign language in formal instructional contexts and out-of-classroom spaces. Design work will include instructional components such as scope and sequence, timeline of instructional activities, instructional manuals, learning materials, in-class assessments, out-of-class activities, and rubrics. At CASLS, this design work will often utilize emerging technologies and take advantage of online and hybrid contexts. In addition to creating and evaluating content, the Pedagogical Experience Designer will lead language teams that include target language specialists who provide input and guidance on language-specific issues.
The position may represent CASLS to outside stakeholders and involve a high level of autonomy. The position reports to the CASLS Director.
- Master’s degree in second language acquisition, applied linguistics, teacher education, second/foreign language methods, or related field
- 2 years teaching foreign language at the high school or college level
- Knowledge of proficiency benchmarks and at least 2 years applying them in a high school or college classroom
- Demonstrated experience using digital tools for second/foreign language learning
- Ability to work in multilingual and multicultural team environment
- Proficiency in a language other than English
- Ph.D. in second language acquisition, applied linguistics, teacher education, second/foreign language methods, or related field OR five years of leadership experience in an educational context
- 3 years or more teaching foreign language at the high school or college level
- Experience in online course design and/or online instructional experience
- Proficiency in less commonly taught language
Pro Tem Research Assistant Applicant Pool
- View the full job posting
- Applications will be reviewed as needs arise
CASLS is seeking qualified applicants for its open research pool. Positions are limited duration appointments potentially renewable for up to a total of three years. In limited circumstances, there is the possibility of renewal beyond three years based on programmatic need, funding, and performance.
Candidates would assist the center with grant-funded research and development projects. This work will relate to language teaching and learning and may include conceptualizing, developing, and verifying the efficacy of practical language learning tools or developing technology-based tools for language learning and testing.
- BA or BS
- Knowledge of curriculum, assessment, and pedagogy OR experience in educational software development and delivery, website design and interface, or programming experience.