LingroToGo: Learn Spanish on Your Mobile Device
Play to Learn!
- Levels: High school, university
- Language: Spanish
- Cost: Free of charge
The more time learners spend using another language, the more they learn. LingroToGo is designed to make that time as productive and enjoyable as possible.
Designed by gamers and linguists, LingroToGo uses game-based play to inspire students to learn Spanish on their mobile device. Game-based play helps learners tolerate the ambiguity needed for language learning and rewards them for time on task, accuracy, speed, and problem-solving abilities.
Each topic gives learners the skills they need to carry out a specific communicative task in Spanish while deep thinking activities help create the automaticity needed for greater fluency. LingroToGo uses Spanish in context to help users understand how meaning is constructed and conveyed on more than word choice alone.
How Learners Play
- Watch videos. Play games. Play games. Watch videos. It’s completely up to learners. They pick the topics, the tasks, and the way they learn best.
- Earn coins and XP to level up. Unlock new content, boosts, and other fun prizes. Can learners get all the gold medals, or are they satisfied with silver and bronze?
- Play each game once, twice, or more. Remember, the more learners practice, the more fluent they become!
Implementing LingroToGo in the Classroom
Although the app can be used by individual learners, we encourage educators to introduce students to the app and use it in the classroom. LingroToGo is unique in its explicit incorporation of language learning strategies and Spanish pragmatics. Classroom exposure to the app serves to both familiarize learners with a tool they can use in their own study and to model thoughtful, intentional use of study tools.
Our implementation guides offer a variety of approaches that consider a continuum of learner autonomy and accountability.
- Download all implementation guides
- A Guide to Classroom Implementation
- Learning Log/Journal
- Quick Counts for Accountability
- Ten Ways to Use LingroToGo on Your Own
- Scaffolding Thinking Routines
- Function-based Lesson Plan
- Open-ended Questions
- Assigning Grades: Overview of Ideas
- An Outline of Language Functions
Co-created with LingroLearning, LingroToGo is based on the latest learning science and inspires learners to master the second most spoken language in the world.