Place-based Language Learning
- Level: High school, university
- Languages: Chinese, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish
Ecopod are place-based language learning modules for learners of Chinese, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish. Students access the modules using their iOS mobile device. Ecopod engages learners in using the target language and knowledge of other subject areas to solve problems, find collaborators, and build community.
For example, one module asks students to work together to select resources necessary to survive a pandemic. Another asks learners to identify emergencies and dispatch help during an earthquake. An augmented reality scavenger hunt encourages students to explore their surroundings. Some of the Ecopod modules were created by students themselves, allowing learners the opportunity to build proficiency through the creation of text, narrative, and tasks for others.
Why Place-based Language Learning?
Place-based language learning:
- Creates an engaging learning environment
- Increases students’ motiviation
- Encourages learners to use the target language outside of the classroom, thereby increasing proficiency
- Engages students as multilingual participants in everyday life
How to Download Ecopod
- Download ARIS from the App Store and install it on the device.
- Once installed, open the program and click the magnifying glass at the bottom of the screen to search for Ecopod.
- Type “Ecopod” into the search bar and click “Search.”
- Select any of the Ecopod modules displayed in the search results.
Download Accompanying Activities
To help educators easily integrate Ecopod into the curriculum, CASLS created accompanying activities for Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced learners. Download the classroom-ready activities free of charge from our Games2Teach website. (Select A6 to download.)
How to Create Your Own Game
If you are interested in creating your own game like Ecopod, check out this resource for educators.