MOSAIC: Linking Languages and Content
Content-based Thematic Units
- Levels: High school, college
- Languages: French, Japanese, and Spanish
- Free of charge
MOSAIC content-based thematic units link language learning with standards in geography (Spanish, French) and history (Japanese). Each development team included one university-level content specialist, one university-level language teacher, one high school content specialist (social studies), and one high school language teacher. The content specialists identified relevant source materials and ensured that the unit lessons include accurate and up-to-date content and methods of the discipline. The language specialists assured the pedagogical and linguistic quality of the materials, keeping in mind the special challenges of learning new content in a second language.
Examples of Lessons
- Students learn how to report events and ask questions in French while studying HIV/AIDS in Africa.
- Spanish students practice comparing and asking questions as they learn about the importance of food in religious ceremonies.
- Japanese students learn vocabulary to describe people while identifying common themes in ukiyo-e and anime.